Just like everywhere else in the world, some Istanbul taxi drivers have several tricks up their sleeve to hustle unaware tourists. The most common practice is to extend the travel duration by making (huge) unnecessary detours. And since you’re not an Istanbulite, they’re pretty confident that you wouldn’t notice — and you won’t! But with this list of Istanbul taxi fares from Taksim and Sultanahmet to the most common tourist destinations, you are sure to pay the correct cab fare!
Istanbul Taxi Flat Rate and Increments
- When you enter the taxi, the driver will activate the meter. The display should read 19,17 TL — the current flat rate.
- This fare is incremented with approximately 12,89 TL every kilometer.
- If a taxi gets caught up in traffic and doesn’t move or has to wait on your behalf for over 5 minutes, 2,2 TL will be added per minute.
- The minimum fare is 70 TL (to prevent people from taking taxis for too short distances)
- If your taxi has to pay a toll to cross a bridge (8,25 TL back and forth for the first two bridges, 19 TL for the third), use a tunnel (53 TL for the tunnel under the Bosphorus), or use certain highways, that price will be added to the fare on the meter. However, you should not be charged for his route back.
- There used to be a night and day rate, but that has been abolished. Don’t let him tell you differently!
Istanbul Taxi Fares from the New Istanbul Airport
- to Sultanahmet — 689 TL (best case scenario, no traffic)
- to Taksim — 535 TL (best case scenario, no traffic)
- Shocking fares, right? Here are better options on how to get to your hotel from the New Istanbul Airport.
Istanbul Taxi Fares from the Sahiba Gökçen Airport
- to Sultanahmet — 631 TL (plus bridge or tunnel toll)
- to Taksim — 548 TL (plus bridge or tunnel toll)
- Here’s an overview of all options on how to get from the Sabiha Gökçen Airport to your hotel!
Istanbul Taxi Fares from Sultanahmet (and vice versa)
- to Akmerkez Shopping Mall — 174 TL
- to Bebek — 213 TL
- to Beşiktaş — 129 TL
- to BuzAda — 187 TL
- to Cehavir Shopping Mall — 109 TL
- to Dolmabahçe Palace — 97 TL
- to Fatih — 77 TL
- to Galata Tower — 97 TL
- to İstiniye Park Shopping Mall — 225 TL
- to Kadıköy — 296 TL (plus bridge toll)
- to Kanyon Shopping Mall — 161 TL
- to Metrocity Shopping Mall — 161 TL
- to Nişantaşı — 122 TL
- to Ortaköy — 161 TL
- to Pierre Loti Cafe — 122 TL
- to Rumeli Hisarı — 238 TL
- to Taksim — 84 TL
- to Yıldız Park — 148 TL
Istanbul Taxi Fares from Taksim (and vice versa)
- to Akmerkez Shopping Mall — 135 TL
- to Bebek — 161 TL
- to Beşiktaş — 70 TL (minimum fare)
- to BuzAda — 122 TL
- to Cehavir Shopping Mall — 71 TL
- to Dolmabahçe Palace — 70 TL (minimum fare)
- to Fatih — 90 TL
- to Galata Tower — 77 TL
- to İstiniye Park Shopping Mall — 206 TL
- to Kadıköy — 251 TL (plus bridge toll)
- to Kanyon Shopping Mall — 142 TL
- to Metrocity Shopping Mall — 142 TL
- to Nişantaşı — 70 TL (minimum fare)
- to Ortaköy — 109 TL
- to Pierre Loti — 251 TL
- to Rumeli Hisarı — 148 TL
- to Sultanahmet — 84 TL
- to Yıldız Park — 84 TL
Please Use Common Sense
- Print or copy this list prior to your departure for Istanbul. You may not be able to browse this site while you’re in the taxi.
- These fares are indications based on rides I took myself. They are correct and up-to-date, but Istanbul road conditions change every day. Don’t argue with your driver or call for the police unless the meter shows a significant deviation from the fare mentioned here.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission to keep the site ad-free. I only recommend products and companies I use or have used.